For Residential Home Cleaning
For Vacation Rental Hosts
How to Clean Walls Like a Pro
Whenever it’s time to restore order in your home, you go around it to see what work needs to be done. You immediately notice that you need to tackle your wooden floors, give your bathroom tiles a good scrubbing, and clean your magnificent massive mirror in the hall. No problem! After all, you’ve cleaned these surfaces a million times before.
But what about your walls? Have you ever actually attended to them? As you read this, you probably think: “Oh, no! Another chore on my already too long to-do list. Will I be able to finish everything on time?”
Outsourcing this and other tiring and time-consuming housekeeping tasks in Hollywood, CA, to a reliable house cleaning service is a simple and efficient way to take care of them. But in case there’s no way out, and you have to do it yourself, we have prepared a few wall-cleaning hacks that are going to make your life much easier. Read on!
How do you clean dirty walls without damaging the paint?
To clean your walls without damaging the paint, you need to know what kind of paint it is. Some are more susceptible to damage than others. So, let’s look at the most common types and how to attend to them:
- Use a mild degreaser for glossy walls. Scrub cautiously to avoid scratching.
- Matte paint is sensitive, so avoid harsh commercial chemicals. Instead, use a mild cleaning solution, and be careful not to rub the paint off.
- If you have walls with latex paint, use dish soap, water, and white vinegar. Again, gently wipe with a sponge, making sure not to press too hard.
- If you have walls with oil-based paint, apply baking soda, dish soap, and warm water. Dampen your sponge a little bit, and attend to your wall carefully. Don’t use vinegar, as its acidity can dull and damage oil-based finishes.
What is the easiest way to clean dirty walls?
Here is a 7-step guide to help you clean your walls efficiently:
- Dust the walls from top to bottom. Remove any cobwebs and dust the corners with a broom. You can also use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment.
- Gather your cleaning supplies. Add 3 to 4 drops of dish soap into a gallon of warm water. Grab a few sponges, and you’re ready to go.
- Spot-test your cleaning solution before you apply it to the whole wall. Although mild dish soap isn’t abrasive, matte finishes are delicate, so it is wise to double-check if the solution discolors your wall or not.
- Once you’re sure the solution is safe for your wall, apply it to the entire wall top-to-bottom in circular motions. Wring your sponge dry beforehand as you don’t want to leave any watermarks on the wall and avoid bubbling. Also, make sure not to press too hard.
- Deal with stubborn smudges. For tough stains like crayons, shoe scuffs, and grease, gently rub baking soda paste onto the area (combine a half cup of baking soda with a quarter cup of water). Hydrogen peroxide comes in handy for fruit drinks and red wine stains. Apply it directly onto the spot with a damp cloth. Let it sit for about five minutes, and wipe it off.
- Rinse the walls with a damp clean cloth.
- Dry the walls with a new cloth. You can also open your windows to air-dry them.
Where in Hollywood, CA, can I book a reliable house cleaning service?
With a bunch of other obligations on your plate, finding the time to clean your house in Hollywood can seem daunting, to say the least. The good news is, with MaidThis in your corner, you’re never going to have to do it again!
We work with responsible and highly qualified cleaning professionals who have what it takes to make sure your home is shiny and hygienic at all times. So feel free to enjoy a fun family afternoon at Barnsdall Art Park while the experts make your home sparkle. Call us today!